An interesting story.....The Long Beach area had been homesteaded by Hubert Brown in the 1920's. W. T. Sharpless purchased land there about 1928 and became a partner with Brown when they purchased a building known as the Pavilion. They moved it, from what is now Shell Island, over the sand by mule and wagon. The building had a huge wooden floor above some bathhouses, which were rented. J.E. Churchwell purchased Long Beach, which included 220 acres, from them in 1932 for $10,000. He constructed some rental cottages and dug a well for a water supply. Later he built the famous Hangout by the beach. Harry Edwards built Larkway Villas and the Lahans developed Laguna Beach.